Saturday, April 30, 2022

Eviction notice May 2012

 

She traded her CD for his book just as she had done for mine, his book on her bed where mine had been last time, a little night reading, she told me when I asked, she then asking more about him, claiming from what she read of his book, “He’s really fucked up when comes to women,” with me staying deathly silent, a tug of war going on in my chest, the green-eyed monster stirring as I wondered what she had planned next, for him, for me, a sense of doom hanging over the room, a kind of vacancy as if she was moving me out of her heart, packing my possessions near the door for me to take with me as I leave, not physical things, just those things I thought we had in common, an eviction notice sitting on the bed with a book mark showing just how far she’d read.

Would she read to the end the way she had with me or put the book down and pick up mine again?

“Tell me more about him,” she said, giving me my answer.

 


email to Al Sullivan

n

No comments:

Post a Comment