Saturday, April 30, 2022

The face I can’t face May 2012

 

“Why did you unfriend me?” she asked, as indignant as if I had slapped her face.

“It’s hard to explain,” I said and meant it.

“Try,” she said coldly.

“It’s just too much.”

“What’s too much?” she asked. “I thought you liked me.”

“I do. But seeing your picture posted every morning when I wake up is driving me crazy.”

“So, now you think I’m ugly?”

“That’s not what I said,” I said, and knew just the opposite was true. Seeing her image so often and in so many places made it impossible for me to function or sleep, seeing her in my head when I needed to work, things stirring in me at night that I hadn’t felt in years.

“You’re going to add me as a friend again, you hear me?” she said.

I signed, said ye like a man condemned to hang, knowing there was no way of escaping it.



email to Al Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment