Thursday, May 5, 2022

Walking with God? May 27, 2012

  

Took a trip to New York State yesterday to see the hippies, two hours plus up, slightly less coming back with about five hours wandering around the small village and the nearby animal sanctuary.

The trip had nothing to do with her though I knew she had spent some time living there. I walked up and down the few streets, snapping pictures as if in a museum for the 1960s and of a life nobody could actually live any more.

She had talked about her life there, caught up with the daughter of the owner of a popular restaurant, something – after the relationship soured – propelled her into the food industry with the aim of becoming a chef perhaps.

She has the ability to hook up with people who can further her aims – a puzzle why she bothered with me since I could not.

I had come to this place before, wandered these streets, poked my head into these psychedelic shops, snapping pictures up and down and around – often hanging out by the tied dyed shirt and jewelry displays near the yellow chamber of commerce building just off the main drag.

The man selling jewelry waved me over, and said, “You know you walk with God, don’t you?”

I thought he was selling me religion and I tried to brush him off, but he clung to my arm and said, “no, really.”

It was an observation, not a sales pitch. I thought about it all the way home. I posted a poem about it along with a bunch of photos, wondering what it all meant, thinking maybe this was some kind of sign of changing fortune, renewed hope. I suppose it is a good thing walking with God.

 

2012 menu


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment