Monday, May 2, 2022

If that was not enough May 2012

  

As if to hammer the knife blade home, she posted a second and even a third poem yesterday, calling my poetry “self-serving artistry” an illusion fostered no doubt by my ability to weave words.

Poems are personal, not objective, and it is this subjectiveness that shapes them.

Her poem is meant as a warning to herself or perhaps a “I should have known better” observation not to mistake my poetry as an accurate interpretation of who I really am, as if I had somehow pulled the wool over hear eyes (whatever that means) making her believe otherwise.

The third poem of the day also plays against the metaphor of poetry, carrying the idea of the second poem a little further, again more a message to herself, looking at our relationship (if indeed that was what it was) at a floating condition, affected by push and pull, and leading to an eventual sinking – disaster, emotional turmoil, and the inability to sleep, and her inability to make sense of it all, because it doesn’t make sense, no “Rhyme to this reason because there is no reason behind the rhyme (meaning me as the poet) and her conclusion is to let go.

The three poems show an amazing change in the emotional arch in the space of one day, starting out with the sociopathic rage of the first poem to a less violent but equally pointed judgement (of me) in the second poem, to a much more circumspect internal review of how our time together impacted her and her resolve to let go of it.

The fact that she crafted three great poems with such a huge emotional arch in one day stuns me, an impressive piece of craft I would admire if I were not the target of them and the ultimate conclusion so bleak.

The first most violent of the three poems is structured around three significant moments we shared, the diner, the walk afterwards and the final blood bath at the bar that concluded with her hanging on the roof of her apartment building.

Each stanza goes from calm, rational conversation into a sudden brutal outbreak of violence with me stabbing a butter knife into the back of my own hand in the first, smashing my own face against cold brick in the second and, shoving a wine glass into my own chest in the third and how these impacted her, and my “Housing your bitch – I mean your friend four hours” as to how badly she had hurt me until that friend is “gas lit and abandoned and hanging from the roof top.”

I might argue how inaccurate and unfair these depictions are, but the rage is real. So is the pain and ultimately her judgement stings with a significant note of truth.

The second poem follows with the central idea of how wrong she was about me, a cooler poem crafting a poem about not making assumptions about me based on my writing – a back handed complement that admires my poetry while at the same time declaring the poems are self-serving and do no reflect my real character.

The third poem is resignation and withdrawal, saying more directly in a gentler tone what the first few poems said in essence – that this thing between us is over and I have pushed and pulled her to the point where she must let it go.

Again, not completely fair or accurate since she came to that conclusion day maybe weeks before I stepped into the bar. She simply nailed the coffin shut using my head as her hammer.

If I didn’t feel so guilty, I might take gratification in having been told to go fuck myself in such an amazing collection of poems by a bitter, angry, wounded brilliant poet like her.

 

2012 menu


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment