Sunday, May 8, 2022

Walking on egg shells June 6, 2012

  

I came into the office on Tuesday as if nothing bothered me, as if she’d made no threat to destroy my life.

I talked to people in the bullpen, and even asked if what I had written for my column had caused her any grief in any of the towns she covered.

During the meeting, I even looked her way she when she went over what she planned to do for the week.

Several times, when I was looking at other of the other employees, she changed position, edging into my view – most likely accidentally.

At the end of the meeting, she flirted with one of the owners, then left to attend the premier of a movie in NYC.

At one point, she had actually emailed me to say she needed drink. I don’t know if this was an accident, meaning to email someone else, much like the texting she had done for her grand opening when she thought she was texting her brother.

I emailed back that it was not a good idea, but I said I’d leave a bottle of something on her desk, a gesture, an apology before I left.

This morning, I got a one-word email from her saying “Thanks;” I replied “Anytime.”

After reading a number of her stories for the previous week, I emailed her saying I thought her work was influenced by Tom Wolfe.

In truth, she is a clever writer – perhaps the best on the staff, but what she does for the company is slick and largely lacks the death of feeling her poetry contains.

I mentioned none of this, still walking on egg shells I feared would break with every step.

   2012 menu


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment