Saturday, July 18, 2015

When nice is not enough



(Date unknown)

This is not the way it is supposed to be,
I think, but do not stop,
Nice is a four letter word I hate hear
When nice is the last thing I ache to be,
And vow not to become one of those
Lonely old men who want but can’t
Get up the nerve to take what they need,
This balancing act between proper
And profitable spoiling their lives,
When we can live our lives only once
And better to push in and feel strong
Than to miss it altogether,
My hands lingering with the scent of you
While my thoughts know I many
Never breathe it in again,
Thinking of that old cliché about
Better to have had and lost than not
To have had at all, said by some
Poor fool who knew nice
Would never do at all,
But where’s the edge, the point
After the plunge when nice guys
Pick up the pieces
Nice but not nice inside,
Where all men know well the truth,
And so I reach in and feel it
While I still have fingers to feel,
Not carrying what I’ll think

About in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment