Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Getting a grip




Wednesday, July 22, 2015

I sweat just to think about it
This climb up and down
With nothing more than
Fingers and toes to grip with,
The lip of it hanging over me
Like a cliff that might tumble
Down at any time,
This life of risk,
this grip on the tip of it,
Both hands too moist
At the palms to keep me
From slipping
and still I climb,
Pushing myself up
And into each crevice
Feeling the fabric against me
As I move one precious inch
After another,
Aching over progress made
Fearing a back fall so I cling
The sweat dribbling down
From brows to eyes to mouth
So I taste the salt of it,
Get drunk on it,
And the pursuit of it,
The ache to over come
And keep climbing,
Often with no other purpose
Than to see what lies
over the other side,
To see if I can reach it,
Knowing that there will always be
More of it to climb
And stare over
When I finally manage it.



No comments:

Post a Comment