Saturday, July 7, 2012

Escaped only with my life




I realize that after months
Of crazy midnight messages
Of that rooftop maniac
Who stares down into the gulf
I just escaped with my life

This person locking and unlocking
Doors against imagined threats
Manufactured in that person’s own head
All of them leading to the roof
Where it is documented on
In cell phone photographs
Sent out like press releases
Ten days before the actual event

Or the “I should not tell you
What I did last night,”
Then lays out a layout
So perverse it twists
Inside me like a knife

Always forgiving
But never sorry
Always shifting blame
Onto the backs of other people
Always saying “I never lie,”
When that itself is a lie.

Sometimes,
You’re just lucky
To have real friends
Who help you get out
Helping me to escape
With my life

And that friend
Is you.

No comments:

Post a Comment