Tuesday, July 10, 2012

After glow





I hobbled up the walkway
From Hoboken
Leaning so heavily on my cane
I nearly fell
Wounded in some conflict
I never intended to fight
But refused to wave
A white flag
“Concede but never surrender,”
an old Viet Vet once told me,
“Retreat, regroup, even move on
if you have to, but never give in.”
In the breeze off the harbor
All this seemed moot
Golden flowers licking their lips
As I passed,
Fishermen casting their lines
Near where the walkway turned
On the Weehawken side
Sail boats with lowered sails
Floating in a cove so peaceful
I could not help but catch their drive
Though I could still see across the cove
The building where I should have been
And the meeting I was supposed to attend
Too far away to hurry back for,
If there was anything to hurry to
When peace and flowers
Showered me here in their after glow
Telling me just how great life can be.


No comments:

Post a Comment