Thursday, January 29, 2015

Drip on the edge of memory



Thursday, January 29, 2015

I feel the curve of the river
Press against me as I walk
This lonely walk along the Hudson
In not-so-desolate Hoboken,
The chill wind kissing my cheeks
When I ache for more,
The trembling last leaves
Of last fall’s harvest clinging
To barren limbs,
Tender brown fingers
Rubbing the bark with the same
Affection I feel in memory,
This breath of air stinging me
And yet making me ache for more
As if pleasure and pain
Cannot be subdivided in a town
Where everything gets boxed up,
My limbs like tree limbs
Waiting for the coming of spring
To burst again into hard buds
That bloom and drip with a spring
Time due, the taste of the air,
Lingering at the tip of my tongue
As I swallow and feel the chill
Go down deep into my bones,
Where all things reside,
Like an unresolved remembrance
that drips off each edge of me,
Filled with the promise of satisfaction
I never feel



No comments:

Post a Comment