Monday, April 8, 2013

What’s it all about, Alfie? (with video)


What’s it all about, Alfie?

With a name like “Alfred,”
I struggled a lot growing up,
Especially after that stupid
Song came out:

What’s it all about, Alfie?

People never stopped asking me that
What’s it all about?
As if I was some kind of wise man
Instead of the class clown
As if not getting a date
With the most popular girl
In high school
Didn’t hurt

What’s it all about, Alfie?

Some names just make you
Work harder
To get over or around them
And when you’re like me
And didn’t show a lot of talent
For much of anything
Trying was never enough

What’s it all about, Alfie?

And maybe I am still a little jealous
Of people who get where they got
Without a bad name
Like the girl from college I did date
Whose long legs I last saw
Climbing into a stretch limo
In front of Trump on Central Park west,
Or the bully I had to beat up
When he wouldn’t stop trying to beat me up
Who got honored as a hero cop,
Or my best friend who stepped in shit
So often he never worked a day in his life

What’s it all about, Alfie?

I keep trying to find something
I thought I’d lost
But maybe never had,
Something that always slips out
From between my fingers
Each time I think I’ve got
A handle on it,
Something I can’t get
Good name or bad,
Something I want more
Than life itself
Always I’d be hard pressed
To put a name on it

What’s it all about, Alfie?

Beats me.

No comments:

Post a Comment