Monday, January 1, 2024

Breakfast of Champions April 2012

 


She hands me the bowl,

Her long fingers still stained

From slicing the contents,

A breakfast of champions

I think, as I settle

Side by side with her

On the couch,

Me feeling as I felt

Back at the diner,

Too nervous to eat,

Too attracted,

Feeling her heat

Her breath,

The intense scent

Of her perfume

I am a smoldering volcano,

Doing my best to keep

From erupting,

My fingers aching to touch

Places only my mind has been,

She too distant

On this painfully sunny day,

Sending me away,

Unsatisfied,

The way I must have

When I kissed her

And went away,

Going back down those long

Fights of stairs to the street

And the dazed walk,

Sober, but not sober,

Drunk on something other

Than wine,

Eggs and greens

A breakfast of champions

A tale told by an idiot

Or perhaps Dr. Seuss

My insides rumbling,

Empty,

But not from hunger.

 

 


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment