Saturday, December 1, 2018

In the midst of madness





The blizzard comes after you go,
Snarling out of the haze
Its full teeth exposed,
Its claws scraping at my skin
As its paws pound my back
As I follow the downtown track
White flakes erasing all signs
Of this 20th Century
In which I live,
Leaving me with the brick faces
Of previous century
To mock my passage
Grinning with the satisfaction
Of my grandfather’s time
And those tall tales he told
Of making his way
Through storms such as these,
Bare fingers gripping
The handle of his tool box,
His ghostly voice
Howling with laughter
At my pale attempt
To follow in his fading footprints
His face shrouded by the snow
My prints fading equally
Behind me for someone
I have not sired to follow,
Each of us mistakenly believing
We leave an indelible mark,
Just as his father believed
And his father’s father
Did before him,
Me hearing the spirited
Voice of the dying horse
My grandfather’s father
Punched because it dared
Bite my great-grandmother,
I even hear the fall of the ax
That he made his children swing
When coal ran out
And during a storm like this
He sent them to the river
To chop down trees,
My mission less noble,
No horse to avenge
To fuel to keep warm
A family,
But shadow of your face
Somewhere behind this pale
Wall of flakes,
And the need to reach you
In that uptown place
Where you wait,
The way my grandmother waited
For my grandfather to come,
The way all women wait
For men like me
To make it through
Storms like these,
Struggling to follow
A trail that fades
With each slippery step,
The vicious claws of winter
More than the bears
My great great grandfather
Claims to have faced,
The beasts I see
Peering from between the fakes
Are those I imagine,
Self-created,
In this frozen waste
I call a life,
Each step a journey
Through the past
Through the future
Through a storm
I never meant to stumble
Through
No more than my grandfather did
Or all the fathers before him,
Finding ourselves
In the midst of madness
Until we find
Someone like you
In the end.









No comments:

Post a Comment