Monday, April 29, 2024

Not the summer of love July 2012

  

This is not the summer of love

At least, not love I have,

We can’t have,

An unrequited existence

From which there can be

No reprieve, just regret,

The what if I did it all

In another way,

And still knowing

It might still have come

To this sense of loss,

And the lingering doubts,

This is not the summer of love,

Like other summers,

Those other magical moments

When a kiss felt soft

And love smelled swet,

This is a summer when

Sweet smells too sweet,

The way dying flowers do,

When clutching only pricks me

And causes me to bleed,

Sad tears drawn

From the heart of me,

This is not the summer of love,

It is the lack of it,

That vast absence felt

Down deep in the soul,

Of remembrance of things lost,

Sacrificed,

Even abandoned,

It is not the summer of love,

It is the memory of it

The ghostly image

I can’t quite pin down

In my mind.


email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment