Thursday, September 11, 2014

The heat of it



September 11, 2014


I kiss the air until my lips bleed,
And I can’t breathe the overheated sky
That scalds me with each breath I breathe
No smoldering from mere sunlight
But hot lava scorching everything I expose,
Leaving my tongue and fingers blistered,
And still I reach for more,
Grasping hot coals in the cup of my hands
Feeling them quiver against my fingers
And then against the tip of my tongue,
Making me ache all the more
For what I know only causes me pain,
And still I plunge headlong into the fiery plume
Knowing I can’t possibly survive,
Knowing it is the only way I can stay alive,
Knowing this kiss I kiss is all there is
And all there can ever be,
And this touch I touch incinerates me
From the inside out,
And like a fool I let it happen,
Beg for it to happen again
Kissing air that seals my lips closed like wax,
Breathing from a fiery sky a fire I can’t survive,
Touching molten lava until I have no fingers
Or toes or tongue, only the urge to press on,
Pushing myself into the deepest and hottest parts,
Aching with every bone for more,
To kiss even without lips to kiss with,
To breathe more deeply and feel every bit of it

Before I go up entirely in flames

No comments:

Post a Comment