Monday, April 23, 2012

Fear of flying





A sea gull cries over me in the park as I exercise
My arms swinging old weights as the bird floats
Above me weightless
Its wings spread like mine
Only he rises’
And I sink

Somewhere an old song by The Supremes
Comes to mind,
About being set free,

And the bird floats
Into the gray fog
Vanishing at moments
But not its cries

The ground is still wet from the down pour
My shoes squeak as I moved through
A ritual I only half believe

The bird’s cries
sound like my cries
Only her cries are overjoyed
And mine
Over losing something
I never had

The wooden platform
Groans with each move I make
Splintered paradise sending showers
Of unwashed dust
Onto the surface of the water below
These set free, too
To drift to the unknown

The fear of being weighted down
The fear of drifting away
Both tugging on my aching biceps
As I lift my wings
And cry.








email to Al Sullivan

No comments:

Post a Comment